In his classical masterpiece called the Bodhicharyavatara, The Introduction to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life, the legendary 8th century Indian saint Shantideva offers an essential and practical guide to the bodhisattva path. This highly revered text forms the basis of a classical Shedra education. His Holiness the Dalai Lama says that if he has any understanding of compassion and the bodhisattva path, it all comes from studying this text.
On many occasions Sogyal Rinpoche expressed that he would like the whole Rigpa Sangha to receive teachings on the Bodhicharyavatara. This study pack provides a great opportunity to study the first three chapters of the Bodhicharyavatara at your own pace with Ringu Tulku Rinpoche. His essential, practical and humorous approach make the verses of the Bodhicharyavatara accessible to everyone.
Bodhicharyavatara study pack
A study pack featuring Ringu Tulku Rinpoche’s teachings on the Bodhicharyavatara that he gave in Lerab Ling in 2015.
This is available to all Mandala students of the Rigpa Sangha.
Price for download pack : 30€
What's in the practice pack?
This Study Pack contains:
- Ringu Tulku Rinpoche’s pithy presentation of the essence of the Bodhicharyavatara given over a week-end from 6th - 7th June 2015 in Lerab Ling
- Part 1 - Being a Bodhisattva (2h 21min)
- Part 2 - The Six Paramitas in a Nutshell (3h 21min)
- His essential and practical verse by verse commentary to the first three chapters of the Bodhicharyavatara given from 8th - 11th June 2015 in Lerab Ling
- Part 3 - Preliminary Topics of the Commentary (2h 23min)
- Part 4 - Chapter 1: The Excellence and Benefits of Bodhichitta (4h 22min)
- Part 5 - Chapter 2: Confession of Negativity (4h 23min)
- Part 6 - Chapter 3: Taking Hold of Bodhichitta (1h 34min)
- A guided meditation for cultivating compassion lead by Ringu Tulku Rinpoche (40 min)
- Seven questions and answer compilations arranged by topic (3 hours 31 min)
- A study guide with study and reflection questions to help you study and apply the teachings in your life.
In total this pack contains 20 hours, 47 minutes of video material. Each session is available in video and audio format.
Detailed Overview of the Study Pack
Part 1: Being a Bodhisattva
➔ This part contains an introduction to what makes you a bodhisattva, why you might want to become one, and how to become one.
- Prayers Before the Teaching (3 min)
- Prayers After the Teaching (1 min)
- Introduction and Overview of the Three Yanas (20 min)
- What is a Bodhisattva and How Can You Become One? (40 min)
- The Benefits of Compassion (21 min)
- The Bodhisattva Attitude, Buddha’s Promise, and the Causes of Suffering (34 min)
- How to Overcome the Causes of Suffering (26 min)
Part 2: The Six Paramitas in a Nutshell
➔ This part contains the essence of the six paramitas and practical advice on how to meditate.
- The first Paramita - Generosity (33 min)
- The second Paramita - Discipline (41 min)
- The third Paramita - Patience (26 min)
- The fourth Paramita - Diligence (18 min)
- The fifth Paramita - Meditation (20 min)
- Practical Advice on Meditation (33 min)
- The sixth Paramita - Wisdom (38 min)
Part 3: Preliminary Topics of the Commentary
➔ Now we begin with the preliminary topics that precede the main verses, according to the famous commentary on the Bodhicharyavatara by Khenpo Kunzang Palden.
- Introduction to Khenpo Kunpel’s Commentary (25 min)
- How a Teacher Gives Teachings (41 min)
- How to Listen to the Teachings (25 min)
- How to Listen to the Teachings, continued, & the Method of Explanation (37 min)
- Explanation of the Title & Translator’s Homage (16 min)
Part 4 - Chapter 1: The Excellence and Benefits of Bodhichitta
➔ In the first chapter Shantideva describes the benefits of bodhichitta.
- Chapter 1, Verses 1 & 2 (27 min)
- Chapter 1, Verses 3 & 4 (19 min)
- Chapter 1, Verse 5 (25 min)
- Chapter 1, Verses 6-9 (23 min)
- Chapter 1, Verses 10-11 (24 min)
- Chapter 1, Verses 12-14 (25 min)
- Chapter 1, Verses 15-19 (28 min)
- Chapter 1, Verses 20-26 (35 min)
- Chapter 1, Verses 27-31 (28 min)
- Chapter 1, Verses 32-36 (34 min)
Part 5 - Chapter 2: Confession of Negativity
➔ Shantideva presents the first three parts of the seven branch offering—offering, prostration and confession—to help us accumulate enough merit for bodhichitta to arise in our mindstream.
- Chapter 2, Verse 1 (21 min)
- Chapter 2, Verses 2-13 (23 min)
- Chapter 2, Verses 14-23 (28 min)
- Chapter 2, Verses 24-26 (30 min)
- Chapter 2, Verses 27-38 (31 min)
- Chapter 2, Verses 39-40 (26 min)
- Chapter 2, Verses 41-46 (28 min)
- Chapter 2, Verses 47-54 (29 min)
- Chapter 2, Verses 55-60 (31 min)
- Chapter 2, Verses 61-65 (25 min)
Part 6 - Chapter 3: Taking Hold of Bodhichitta
➔ Now Shantideva considers the remaining four branches of the seven branch offering and then he takes the bodhisattva vow.
- Chapter 3, Verses 1-6 (28 min)
- Chapter 3, Verses 7-11 (20 min)
- Chapter 3, Verses 12-22 (22 min)
- Chapter 3, Verses 23-34 (24 min)
Guided Practice for Cultivating Compassion
Ringu Tulku Rinpoche guides a meditation to help us cultivate compassion. You can use it at any point during your studies of the Bodhicharyavatara to connect with the third wisdom tool of meditation.
- Guided Meditation for Developing Compassion (40 min)
Questions and Answers Arranged by Topic
Here you will find a selection of the best answers Ringu Tulku Rinpoche gave to students’ questions during his teachings in 2015. They are arranged around seven juicy topics.
- Questions about Bodhichitta (36 min)
- Questions about Offering (32 min)
- Questions about Emptiness (30 min) General Dharma
- Questions (18 min)
- Questions about Attachment & Relationships (26 min)
- Questions about Dealing with Personal Suffering (35 min)
- Questions about Integration (31 min)